Check Out the Best Books for the Season
Wherever you live, it’s important to stay current. How better to stay in the know than through literature? Upgrade your mind and even your home interiors with these books. Featuring an eclectic but generous mix of everything from pop culture and New York to business and commerce.
Enhance Your Financial Knowledge
Here are a few selections from the Berkshire Hathaway Reading List by Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger, providing book recommendations these two financial titans have shared with their shareholders during their annual shareholder meeting:
- Business Adventures: Twelve Classic Tales from the World of Wall Street by John Brooks
- Forty Chances: Finding Hope in a Hungry World by Howard G. Buffett
- Strategic Value Investing: Practical Techniques of Leading Value Investors by Stephen Horan, Robert Johnson, and Thomas Robinson
This year, the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Selections 2019 reading list recommends several new books on investing and finance you may also want to pick up, including:
- The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World by Melinda Gates
- The Future is Asian: Commerce, Conflict, and Culture in the 21st Century by Parag Khanna
Pick up one or two books from this list to elevate your knowledge of business and finance. Add a few new layers of financial savvy to your cocktail party chatter this summer.
Light and Full of GOOP
For a totally different, yet still enlightening, take on book lists go no further than to Gwyneth Paltrow and her website GOOP. The GOOP reading list for the summer of 2019 features these fresh finds:
- City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Trust Exercise by Susan Choi
- How Could She by Lauren Mechling
- The Kitchen Is for Dancing by Karlene Karst
- Interiors: The Greatest Rooms of the Century by Design Time
From creative inspiration to creative expression, these books provide you with freedom of mind.
Updating Your Interiors With Books
I should point out that the GOOP list includes one special book that would make a great addition to any modern coffee table. Interiors: The Greatest Rooms of the Century is more than just education on all things interior design throughout the 20th century. This luxuriously large book is a wonderful book to display on a table in your home, ready to be opened and perused. The hardcover edition comes in four different hues to best compliment any interior. See what the authors did there?
Choose from saffron yellow or platinum gray with a modern geometric imprint, or a midnight blue or merlot red cover featuring a Moroccan inspired print. It’s an ideal choice for splashing some fresh reading style into your home.
Finding More Reading Material Fast
The New York Times provides a number of lists for helping you find the books that everyone else has read or will be reading. Check out these recommended book lists:
- Summer Reading featuring 75 books perfect for splashing into travel, the Great Outdoors, true crime, historical fiction, and more
- Best Sellers booklist for the best in popular fiction and nonfiction including children’s books
Which books and lists are you going to add to your real and digital bookshelves this summer? We would love to hear from you about this.